Learning Goal: I’m working on a landscape architecture report and need a sample draft to help me learn.
Spring 2022 MIDTERM PROMPT
During the first part of the term, students will select an architectural practice from a list given at the beginning of the quarter. This list of most interesting cutting-edge architects will be presented on the first week of the term, so that students can familiarize themselves with the architect’s works, and be able to select the one they would like to research.
Foundational Research -Contemporary Architecture Practice
Each student will develop a mini in-depth research of the architecture practice assigned to them. This research includes an initial immersion into understanding the main issues that inform the architect’s work, across a variety of topics, and how those issues inspire a particular approach to architecture investigation, through theoretical, spatial, material, and programmatic intervention in the contemporary city.
This research can be organized as a set of written responses to 7 important questions, that are included below. These responses should be accompanied by images / diagrams that can illustrate the main points included in the text. These responses will strategically summarize the research in provocative ways.
-Keep in mind that this text will be help you organize your final assignment, which will take the form of a visual portfolio presentation.
-Eventhough you have been given a particular building to be studied towards the final portfolio assignment, as you answer these questions, please refer to many other projects this architect has developed, in case they help you contextualize your thoughts. Of course, you can also focus on the selected building as example.
-Please, look for sources through library research, on-line investigation, architect’s webpage, youtube lectures, written texts, etc. Look for texts written by the architects themselves, or scholars who have written about the work, as well as interviews, and a wide range of publications, books, journals, magazines, etc.
Each response: 250 words minimum. Please be strategic and provactive with your language.
1. What are the main critical issues that the work engages? The main contemporary topics, inspirations, desires, investigations that the work tackles? What is it that captures your imagination about this work?
2. Is there anything in the architect’s background, experience, education, cultural context, or geographic specifity that has influenced the evolution of the work?
3. Why is the work of this particular architect relevant today? Is there something about the work that can inspire new paradigms to re-think conventional architecture? Why is unique about the work?
4. How are these critical contemporary issues manifested spatially, materially, programmatically and formally, in this particular practice?
5. What are the main tools of representation (drawings, models, films, instalation?) for this architect, what role they play in the creative process? How does this architect engage the creative process?
6. How has this work alter your perceptions of what architecture is for you? How is this architecture different to the architecture that is conventionally built?
7. Can this work scale up to reimagine the way we build cities? In what way?
Please remember that the final assignment for this class is to develop a portfolio of images and texts. This visual portfolio will document the research of a particular building by this architect. This building has been asigned to you. So, this midterm paper is a way to begin immersing into the broad issues of the architect’s work.
Alongside the development of this reserach, students will be guided through a series of design concepts and processes to develop visual systems, i.e., diagrams, collages, drawings, sketches, etc., to analyse, interprete and conceptualize the main ideas articulated by the architects through the particular building(s).
12 point, double space
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more